Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Goodbye Remicade, Hello Humira! Mommy had her appointment with her GI doctor today. After much contemplation, the doctors agreed that they needed to switch Mommy's treatment plan. Dr. Evans and Dr. Jefferies both agreed that things were getting out of control and they needed to get back in control. Mommy has to take a medicine called Entocort for the next 30 days. Entocort is an anti-inflammatory drug (corticosteroid hormone) that works by decreasing her natural defense response. So.....I am going to have to keep Mommy super healthy over the next month. No germs allowed!
The doctors also decided to take Mommy off of Remicade, so no more infusions at the Cancer Institute. However, they decided to give a different biological drug a try. Mommy starts Humira as soon as she gets her prescription sent to her. Apparently, the local pharmacies do not carry that type of drug and it has to be delivered to us here at the house. Now instead of infusions, Mommy is going to have to give herself shots. The doctor told her that the actual medicine would be similar to my Epi Pen and would come loaded in a pen form. Mommy also found out that the makers of Humira are also the makers of Similac. I told her that it had to be a good medicine because I loved my similac when I was a little baby.
All and all, we are very hopeful with the new treatment plan. Mommy hated that she had to give up Remicade so early but she feels that Humira is the right choice considering the situation. I just want my Mommy to stay healthy so we can keep playing and having fun together. Mommy is not sure when she is going to get her medicine in but when she does, we need all the prayers we can get. We are praying hard for no bad reactions.
I'll keep you posted and Mommy promises that she will have double pictures for everyone tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment